The current student recruitment context
Today, your institution is competing fiercely with other education providers for new students. Therefore you are more vulnerable than ever before to the financial risk factors that can affect your institution’s on-going viability.
There are 5 key drivers occurring globally that we believe are fuelling this heated competitive environment. In no particular order, these 5 global drivers are:
- The rise of Asia – Asian countries and education institutions are replacing western destinations for many internationally-mobile students. This means that many internationally mobile future students who would previously have gone to study in the western countries are instead choosing to study in Asia.
- The ageing population in the high-income countries – Steadily declining fertility rates in high- income countries over many decades have resulted in lower numbers of the typical domestic-student. Therefore education institutions need to scramble for the declining domestic student market, and compensate for the declining domestic students by growing the recruitment of international students.
- Technology disruption – The digital revolution is impacting the way global future-student-audiences access information and engage with education providers. Therefore, the traditional ways of engaging with and recruiting students are no longer as effective as they were prior to the digital revolution. In response to the impact of these new technologies, many education institutions are evolving their digital recruitment and engagement capabilities in order to gain competitive advantages in the marketplace.
- Funding pressures – Higher education institutions in many high-income countries are facing declines in public funding due to the need for governments to reduce debt and cut costs in an ailing economy. So, the reduction in government funding is causing stress on the budgets of education institutions, thereby fuelling the need to attract and successfully recruit more full-fee-paying students.
- Stricter immigration policies – With many economies facing a prolonged period of very slow or no growth, politicians are needing to manage the perceptions of their voters, particularly with regards to the availability of jobs in the context of immigration. This is resulting in more barriers for mobility of both temporary and permanent migrants to high-income destinations.
As a result of all the above-mentioned drivers, and others besides, most education institutions in high income countries are experiencing a significant reduction in the demand for the courses they offer. So, faced with declining student numbers, these education institutions are highly motivated to improve their student recruitment outcomes and practices in a manner that gives them a competitive advantage in the market. This motivation to have a competitive edge in the market is fuelling the intense competition in the industry.
In an intense competitive environment, if your competition moves forward while you stand still, you just fell behind. In other words, unless you are proactively evolving and transforming your student recruitment practices, each time your competition successfully evolves and transforms their student recruitment approaches and practices, their success will come at your expense.
Prior to the recent rise in competition, the previous methods and practices for recruiting students was ‘good enough’ for most education institutions. However, the intense competition and digital disruption has resulted in a new problem: the traditional methods and practices of recruiting students are no longer working as well as they used to before.
This problem of inadequate solutions to student recruitment problems is having a significant impact on individuals and institutions alike. At an individual level, some of the consequences are:
- You fail to achieve recruitment targets and your boss thinks you are incompetent.
- You are so busy, there simply aren’t enough hours in the day.
- You feel stressed and overwhelmed.
- You miss important deadlines.
- You spend less time with your loved ones and your personal relationships are negatively impacted as a result.
- Things generally seem to be out of your control.
- You feel powerless.
At an institutional level, you may be experiencing some of the following:
- Your institution is in financial distress as it struggles to generate sufficient tuition revenue to support operating costs.
- There is intense pressure on, and scrutiny of, the student recruitment functions. Since the spot-light is on the student recruitment function, any perceived weakness is magnified disproportionately.
- In an attempt to shift blame and find scape-goats to satisfy the internal politics, professional relationships within the institution are strained, and interdepartmental strife and conflict simmer just beneath the surface.
- Instead of being proactive, the organisation seems to be in a never-ending reactive mode. This is because, there is no-one in the institution who is indifferent to student recruitment outcomes. Therefore, everyone has an idea of how to solve the student recruitment challenges, and you are having to respond to a never-ending stream of ideas, many of which are a huge waste of time.
- As leaders become desperate to demonstrate some tangible changes to the challenges facing the institution, the dust has barely settled after the last organisational restructure before the next one hits you again. As a result, there is high staff turnover as leaders seek to replace staff who they perceive as incompetent in the hope that they will attract new staff who will perform better.
Sound familiar? If so, you understand that there is a desperate need for a solution. It is clear that the above-mentioned situation, problem and impact is not a passing phase. The never-ending march of progress is forcing the education sector to evolve and transform.
The need to evolve and transform student recruitment approaches
Those education institutions that are able to successfully evolve and transform their student recruitment practices will thrive in this new environment. Sadly, those who do not evolve will succumb to the inevitable fate as dictated by the universal law of evolution.
In light of the above context, problem and impact, the education sector needs student recruitment approaches and practices that:
- Empowers you to take responsibility of the factors within your control, specifically, those factors that positively impact the student recruitment outcomes.
- Results in the achievement of student recruitment targets, higher conversion rates and greater alignment of solutions to your future student needs.
- Gives you an advantage over the competition, or at the very least, helps you keep up with the competition.
- Fosters an institution-wide sales culture so that everyone within your institution, whether they are on the student recruitment team or not, is actively engaged in the processes and activities that result in increased student recruitment effectiveness.
- Creates alignment between teams and departments.
- Enlightens staff with innovative and new ideas, possibilities and examples of best practice of which they had not previously been aware or thought to consider.
- Ensures that your education institution is not misrepresented or disadvantaged by your staff.
It is clear that innovative and effective ways of attracting, engaging and recruiting students is the next frontier waiting to be discovered and mastered.
In the words of Jeffrey Gitomer in his book titled The Sales Bible:
“Everyone wants to succeed at sales. Most people don’t. It’s not that they can’t. It’s just that they don’t know how.”
The reason why I have quoted Jeffrey Gitomer’s words above is because they so aptly describe the student recruitment industry at the moment.
It is not all doom and gloom
So far, the picture appears to be very depressing, doesn’t it? No-one would blame you if you are angry and frustrated about the impact that the student recruitment problems are having on your personal and professional life. However, it doesn’t have to be this way! You can take control of the opportunity that is waiting for you to recognise and utilise. This is the opportunity to adopt the many science-based selling principles that our industry has yet to embrace in student recruitment.
The good news is that the Art of Student Recruitment Sales Training Course is your access to the next generation of student recruitment practices and approaches. We have done the hard work required to make it easy for you to sell your institutions and courses. We have researched the fields of psychology, neuro-science and behavioural economics to identify all the science-based selling principles and practices that, if appropriately applied, will benefit your student recruitment outcomes.
There is an art and science to student recruitment
The prolific American writer Isaac Asimov once said: “The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.”
Therein lies the opportunity that The Art of Student Recruitment Sales Training course makes available to you. After identifying the knowledge and wisdom from these proven science-based selling principles and concepts, we have designed the course to impart and deliver the knowledge and wisdom from the science of sales, consumer behaviour and psychology in a manner that is:
- ethical; and
- adapted for the student recruitment industry.
But that is not all! In addition to designing the course to impart the knowledge and wisdom, we also designed the course in such a way that, during the training sessions, participants will follow step-by-step instructions that will result in a complete strategy and set of actions needed to boost your student recruitment performance. It couldn’t be more simpler!
Imagine, all you have to do is attend the course and bring with you the specific student recruitment objective that you want to transform! During the course, you will do all the exercises with that objective in mind. Therefore, by the end of the course, you will walk away with a winning strategy and a clear set of actions needed to implement that strategy.
Investing in the Art of Student Recruitment course is a decision you will not regret
Investing your time and money in participating in the Art of Student Recruitment Sales Training course is one of the wisest investments that you can make. You will:
- Up-skill yourself in a manner that ensures that you will be best placed to deliver the best possible student recruitment strategies that deliver on the requirements of your institution.
- Position yourself for the next wave of transformation and evolution in the education sector. In other words, you will be one of the first to embrace the way of the future, science-based selling in student recruitment.
- Give yourself and your institution the competitive edge over the competition by equipping yourself with the right tools through proper training and an unbeatable winning formula.
Do not be one of those people who mistake ‘busyness’ for productivity and performance. Step off the tread mill, come to the one of the scheduled training events to learn how to work smarter and harness and apply universal laws in your favour.
All you need to do is: “Bring your student recruitment objective and yourself to one of the scheduled training events.”
Register for The Art of Student Recruitment Sales Training Course
Buy your ticket now to secure a seat in any one of the following courses near you:
- Melbourne: Tuesday 22 October – Thursday 24 October 2019
- Adelaide: Wednesday 30 October – Friday 01 November 2019
- Perth: Wednesday 27 November – Friday 29 November 2019
- Sydney: Wednesday 29 January – Friday 31 January 2020
- Auckland: Wednesday 13 November – Friday 15 November 2019
- Wellington: Monday 18 November – Wednesday 20 November 2019
- London: Wednesday 04 December – Friday 06 December 2019
- Birmingham: Tuesday 10 December – Thursday 12 December 2019
- Manchester: Monday 16 December – Wednesday 18 December 2019
You do not want to miss this training course! Buy your tickets now!